Who we are
Antwerp Space is one of Belgium’s oldest and most experienced space companies. Our roots go back to 1962, when we were set up as a division within the Alcatel Bell group. We became an autonomous subsidiary in the 90's.
Lots of names, we’ve been called
In 2005, ‘Alcatel Bell Space’ became ‘Alcatel Alenia Space Antwerp’, before getting the name ‘Thales Alenia Space Antwerp’ in 2007. These name changes show the evolution of our shareholding. And the many consolidations that took place in the European space sector.
The OHB SE group acquired our company in July 2010 and so we got our current name ‘Antwerp Space’.
Satellite communications, that’s our business
Today, Antwerp Space is a fast-growing company focusing on satellite communications and other radio/frequency applications in space. Our current activities include:
- Satellite Communication Subsystems
- Transceiver (regenerative and bentpipe) in different frequency bands
- Telecom Payload Technology, incl. Integrated Photonics
- RFI equipment
- Navigation- and radar solutions
The company employs highly skilled engineers and technicians from all over the world, the majority of which hold an engineering degree, with strong expertise in the areas of digital signal processing, hardware and software design and in the management and technical lead of complex projects.
Vision, Mission and Values
The vision of Antwerp Space is being the European leader in the field of RF systems and satellite communications, as well as navigation payloads/equipment.
Antwerp Space's mission is to become our customer's reference in satellite communication systems, including integrated photonics. We will foster our presence in the commercial market, including Newspace applications. And we will further develop as subsystem integrator, based on our equipment expertise and heritage from the JUICE and ExoMars communication subsystem design and integration.
We extend the range of our activities to include on-board Hardware and Software development. For example:
- Integrated Photonics for communication and RADAR application
- New space Transceiver (regenerative and bentpipe)
- High Performance Flexible Modular Transceiver for LEO and Deep Space applications
- Modems and Data Processing Units
- PRS Navigation solutions
- On boards RFI detection and mitigation solutions for LEO and GEO applications, incl. optional GEO location
We built the success of Antwerp Space on the following values:
- Customer focus: the first priority
- Innovation: passion for innovation and product leadership
- Teamwork: working with all team-members together in a synergetic manner, incl. strong relations to all European space primes
- Accountability: we share responsibility and deliver on commitments
OHB SE Group: big in space
Antwerp Space is part of the Bremen-based OHB SE group. They’re one of Europe’s success stories in the field of space. Today they can call themselves the third largest space group in Europe.
But that has not always been the case. Space activities started only in 1985. Even though the company has been growing at a steady pace over the last three decades, OHB SE is still a family business run by the Fuchs family.
OHB SE’s footprint in Europe has also expanded. Nowadays, there are subsidiaries in Austria, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Luxembourg, Turkey, and of course Belgium.